Who loves the combination of chicken curry and egg noodle? Me! 🙂 In Indonesia, this dish is sold both as street food and also in a restaurant. The garnish can be varied, depends on what you have at home. Usually every chicken noodle is always paired with Caisim (Chinese flowering cabbage) and bean sprouts. But since I don’t have Caisim at home, I substitude it with Asparagus. The bean sprout is actually self-made, which I am proud of. It’s the second time I tried this and it wasn’t disappointing… 🙂 Hope you enjoy this cooking, it would need some multitasking from cooking the chicken, making the soup, and making the noodle. But it would be fun! 🙂
Total time: 45 minutes
5 pcs Chicken with bones, cut into small pieces and leave the bones for the soup
250 g Straw mushroom in a can, you can also use Champignon if you like
8 pcs Lime leaves
1 pcs Lemon grass
3 tbsp Sweet soy sauce
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Chicken powder
Spring onion, the white part, chopped
Curry Paste to blend
6 pcs Garlic
6 pcs Shallots, depends on the size, but the ratio between garlic:shallot is about 2:3
5 pcs Candle nuts
10 g Fresh Turmeric (ca. 2-3 cm), you can also use 3 tsp. turmeric powder
15 g Ginger (about 2-3 cm)
¼ cup Water
1,2 liter Water
5 slices Ginger
Fish Balls (Optional)
1 tbsp Soy sauce
Any kind of green vegetables, this time I use Asparagus, but you can also use Caisim, Kailan, Broccoli, Chinese cabbage.
- Blend all ingredients for the curry paste.
- Cook water, chicken, and sliced gingers in a pot on a medium heat. Let them boil while you are preparing the chicken curry.
- Heat a wok/pan over medium-high. Once it’s heated, throw in the curry paste, lemon grass, and lime leaves. You don’t need to put extra oil here if you have a non-sticky pan, because the paste itself already has oil. Stir for a few minutes until it’s fragrant.
- Add in the chicken, stir until the chicken is half-cooked. Add in the mushroom.
- Season it with sweet soy sauce/kecap manis. Mix them well and cover the pan/wok with a lid, leave it for about 10-15 minutes over low-medium heat until the chicken absorbs all the juicy curry sauce.
- While waiting for the chicken to be done, let’s come back to the soup. As the soup is boiling, throw in the fish balls, salt, and sugar. Let it cook over medium until serving time.
- Heat another pot of water to cook the vegetables for garnish and egg noodle. Firstly, cook all the vegetables (bean sprouts, asparagus, or any other vegetables you want). Bean Sprout only takes 10-15 second in a boiling water, while broccoli/asparagus only takes about 1-2 minutes. Once all vegetables are cooked, lastly cook the egg noodle. If you have the fresh one like mine, it takes about 2-3 minutes, ensure not to overcook them, otherwise it would be become smooshy.
- Prepare a bowl for serving. Season and mix the noddle with garlic oil and soy sauce. Once its ready you can add in the chicken curry, garnish vegetables, spring onion, fried shallots, and chilies (optional).