This is another my childhood dish that I used to have back in Indonesia. It’s actually quite a simple dish, but it takes quite a few steps to make them. SO, during this lockdown I definitely have more time to cook and take extra steps to create this delicious meal! Enjoy cooking!
Total time: 1 hour
900 g Chicken legs (3 pcs), you can also use chicken breast
200 g Shitake mushroom, soak in hot water for half an hour, chopped into small pieces
1 tbsp Garlic, chopped
1 tbsp Ginger, chopped
4 tbsp Sweet soy sauce
2 tbsp Light soy sauce
2 tbsp Oyster sauce
2 cup Chicken soup
2-4 pcs Boiled eggs (each portion only need half, but if you like, you can of course add more)
2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
2 liter Water
2 pcs Spring onion, white part only
5 slices Ginger
3 pcs. Garlic
1 tsp Chicken powder
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Sugar
3 cup Rice
2 tbsp Garlic oil
1 tsp Chicken powder
Chopped spring onion
- Cook the rice as instruction on the package. Once it’s cooked, add in garlic oil and chicken powder, mix them well.
- Cook the chicken in the water with spring onion, ginger, and garlic for about 20 minutes. Take the chicken out, cut into small pieces (or shred them). Put back the bones into the soup. Season with salt and sugar. Let it cook in medium heat while you are cooking the chicken.
- Pre-heat a pan/wok on medium-high with vegetable oil. Throw in the chopped garlic and ginger, sauté until it’s fragrant.
- Add in the cut/shredded chicken and chopped shitake mushroom. Season with sweet soy sauce, light soy sauce, oyster sauce, and chicken soup from the soup you just made from boiling the chicken.
- Last but not least, add in the eggs. Stir and cook for another 5 minutes until the sauce has reduced a little bit and the eggs have changed the color.
- Prepare a steamer (if you don’t have, you can use a wok and place aluminum foil on the bottom).
- Use a small (or whatever size you have at home) bowl, cut the egg into half, place it at the bottom of the bowl facing down. Add in the chicken and rice at last. I like to pour a few spoons of the sauce from the chicken on top. Steam the bowl of chicken rice for about 10 minutes.
- Take the bowls out of the steamer, be careful it’s very hot! Place them on to a plate, garnish with chopped spring onion, cucumber, chili, and serve it with chicken soup.