This galangal fried chicken is probably one of my favorites, because it is not only crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, but it’s also full of aroma. Thanks to the galangal! It does take more steps than usual fried chicken, but it is definitely worth it! I hope you like this fried chicken as much as I do and happy cooking! 🙂
Total time: 1 ½ hour
1 kg Chicken with bones
2 pcs. Lemon Grass, cut the ending and smash
5-6 pcs. Lime Leaves
1 tsp. Coriander Powder
1 tsp. Chicken Powder
1 tbsp. Salt
200 gr Galangal, blend
1 pcs. Egg
Vegetable oil for deep frying
7 pcs Candle nuts
10 pcs Garlic
4 pcs Shallots
2 cm Ginger
1 cm Fresh Turmeric
½ cup Water
- Blend all ingredients for blending, set aside
- Cut galangal into small pieces to ease the blending process. Blend. Set aside.
- Add 2 tbsp vegetable oil on a wok/pot. Pour the blended mixture, lemongrass, and lime leaves.
- Add in chicken and pour the water until the chicken is half covered.
- Add in the blended galangal. Mix everything well.
- Cover the pot/wok with a lid, cook the chicken for about 15 minutes. Stir the chicken regularly.
- Open the lid, stir the chicken again. Now cook it with open lid for another 20-30 minutes. Don’t forget to stir them every now and then.
- Turn off the heat, take the chicken out, set aside.
- Throw the lemongrass and lime leaves away.
- Filter the water from the galangal. Strain the water as much as you can using spatula or spoon.
- Place the galangal on a plate/bowl, spread it out to cool down quicker.
- Prepare a wok/pan with enough vegetable oil. Deep fry the chicken on medium-high heat.
- Once it looks golden brown, place the chickens on kitchen paper to absorb excess oil.
- Once the galangal is cooled down, add 1 egg, mix them well.
- In the same wok/pan, deep fry the galangal on medium heat. Don’t put the heat too high, it can get burn easily.
- Stir regularly. Once it looks golden brown, turn off the heat. Use a strainer to take the galangal out. Place on kitchen paper to absorb excess oil.
- Crispy galangal fried chicken is ready. Serve with warm jasmine rice, fresh salad leaves/cucumber, and chili paste/sauce.